Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

You Never Know

I'm not going to lie.  I'm not exactly sure what it is is I'm going for here...
See, I wanted to create a space where having a wide range of creative impulses is actually an advantage, not a disadvantage.  You know, "The new black." 


Some of you, may be like me and not know where to start at times, which is exactly why this year I wanted to create a blog, a conversation and hopefully a dialogue about moving forward in the face of not knowing.  Ahhh, the good old not knowing syndrome ha?

I've got a few amazing things on the fire creatively and as I walk closer and closer to and through that fire - metaphorically of course, I mean who are we kidding, I don't do fire - I realize I'm going to have to do it without knowing exactly how.

Really, when you think about it, for as much as we think we know, we don't.  I'm not talking about the practicality of knowing where you left your keys and knowing how to read, write and so on and so forth and by no means am I discouraging walking through the world with a deep sense of who you are and what you want.  See, it starts with the practical...  "I know I'm going to be in Palm Springs in December, that the 405 takes me to the studio, that my loved ones will all be here tomorrow."  Will they? Really? It is 2012 right? I'm just sayin'.  Look, I don't want to get all apocalyptic on your ass, God knows everyone else has that covered, truth be known I know absolute shit about anything Apocalyptic, save for that movie with Ben Aflek.  

Anyway, My point?  Do we ever really know what's going to happen? really? No.  Do we walk around like we do? Yes.  Does that get in our way of the very mystery that life is?  I'll leave that one as a question... 

So if we really don't know what's going to happen but selectively act like we do know about certain things, and yet have no idea about others, how is that serving the expanse possibilities that are out there? Why don't we take on having that NOT be our context for moving forward!  You see it moves very quickly from the practical things, like I mentioned, to the emotional things and before you know it your knowing your way into a dead end, a safe predictable dead end. "Oh he's way out of my league, I could never get a meeting there, why bother?" I mean really, hows that working out for you?  

To move forward from the context that life is a mystery. Maybe instead of knowing, we move forward because we came here to experience life, to play and to not get it right but to participate in the things that bring us joy so that we can take our heads out of our farthest orifices and be present.  Cause Honey Child! (I've really written this blog just to say Honey child!) you only got one life... unless you believe in reincarnation in which case, you can visit my blog even when I can't.  Unless you end up being me.  WTF?   That was deep... like your unbelievable precious life.  

So let's get on with it!  Join me won't you? In not needing to know, to moving forward because you are a playa, because you walk in faith and not fear -  faith that it's not about perfection but rather playfulness and because like my friend Kathy always says, when I'm nearing my dead end..."You never know."






Scroll over and click comment below to give me your thoughts:)

4 comments:

Kyle said...

Excited to see your posts, mOmO.
http://kyleturk.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

You are truly one of the most gifted people I have the pleasure and honor to know as a fellow creator !!!

Anonymous said...

Love this. Thought about it last night while I was out. A daily dose of these thoughts is just what I need to stay on track.

floatingwoo said...

Very well. To the mystery that is life. And to being with the not knowing. Speaking of not knowing, I created "having a new adventure" for my new years resolution. I still don't know how that 's going to look. I recently got into sculpting with clay, hand building mostly. And I mentioned more than once to my partner that I should get a potters wheel to facilitate making rounder more voluminous pieces. Yesterday I was driving down Santa Monica Blvd. and just west of Bundy there is this little place called the "Clay House". Never having been, I thought I would check it out. It's a cool little working studio for making pottery, owned by this feisty little red haired lady, who commutes every day from Manhattan Beach on a Huge Harley. Well I asked if I could see the studio and talked with some of the cool people there. I mentioned that I was working in ceramics at home and I would love to get a potters wheel and with out missing a beat the lady says "I have a potters wheel, I will give it to you".I said "I'll take it" She takes me over to the corner and uncovers a very sturdy looking potters wheel . "The on-off switch is broken, but heres a new one that we just got in the mail all you have to do is hook it up". I thanked her and I will be going back. The wheel works great. I really don't know what was at play this day. I had know idea how I was going to get a potters wheel, there was nothing available on ebay or Craig's list. Buying a new wheel was out of the question. Well this is a new adventure after all. Chris